Sunday, September 16, 2012

Revision as Reconstructive Surgery by Liz Szabla & Kristin O’Donnell Tubb




SCBWI Midsouth member, Kristin O’Donnell Tubb and her editor, Liz Szabla of Feiwel and Friends (MacMillan) presented the workshop, Revision as Reconstructive Surgery:  Five Essential Tips on Rebuilding after the First Draft. Kristin and Liz discussed their work on Kristin’s upcoming novel, The 13th Sign.

Kristin’s agent sold the book based on 3 chapters and a synopsis.

Kristin said, “I had never sold on partial before. It’s a very different concept because we (Liz & I) were building this book. It was very much a collaborative project.”

Liz said, “It’s very rare for me to buy a project based on 3 chapters and a synopsis, but I had worked with Kristin. The reason it went so smoothly is that I knew who I was working with.”

Think of your book as a one-way street. Any scenes that don’t push your book down the street, eliminate them.  Liz said, “Make it count or let it go.”

Liz said, “Pacing can be especially tricky when you’re writing entirely in present tense.” Avoid describing every action.

There were 4 complete rounds of revision for The 13th Sign between Kristin & Liz.
They emailed brainstorming ideas as Kristin worked on the story.

Liz said, “Kristin was always asking herself why and I wanted to ask myself why? This was our chance to put everything into it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment